Webb, CAK winter 2017 roundup
Webb School of Knoxville
• Webb School of Knoxville congratulates strings students Sidney Matlock, a sophomore; Katelyn Smith, a junior, and Alex Yu, a freshman, after being selected for this year’s East Tennessee School Band & Orchestra Association All-State East Orchestra Senior Clinic in Gatlinburg, Feb. 2-4.
• Webb senior Ryan Lee, a standout rowing athlete, was honored with a recognition ceremony Tuesday, Jan. 31, in Webb’s Lee Athletic Center after choosing Ivy League school Columbia.
• To honor the late Andy Whitcomb, a Webb student who passed away in June 2014 following a courageous fight against cancer, hundreds of art panels — each one its own abstract piece — is what guests will encounter in the three oversized art pieces set up in the center of student art exhibition at this year’s ArtXtravaganza art show and sale.
Christian Academy of Knoxville
• Senior golfers Davis Shore and Tyler Young of Christian Academy of Knoxville were two of nine boys statewide to be honored by Golf Coaches Association of Tennessee as a 2016-17 High School Scholar Athlete.
• Michael Morrison, a five-time NCAA All-American and 2011 NCAA Division I-A champion in the decathlon, recently was named CAK track and field head coach. A former jumps and multi-events track coach at CAK, Morrison is a 2011 graduate of the University of California-Berkeley.
• Four Warriors football and two CAK soccer standouts signed with colleges and universities on National Signing Day Feb. 1: footballers Cole Smith, Princeton University; Ryan Mills, Carson-Newman; Bill Bower, Colorado Mesa University and Haydn Tanner, University of Mount Union, joined soccer’s Luke Poff, Milligan College, and Matt Zaczyk, Liberty University.