Dragon Boat Race builds KARM dollars
About 3,350 attendees turned out to participate or watch the 14th Annual Dragon Boat Races benefiting Knox Area Rescue Min-istries.
The races, which took place at The Cove at Concord Park Saturday, June 18, drew 40 teams from non-profit organizations, businesses and community groups. Besides competing on the water, teams vied for such honors as Best Drummer Costume and Best Tent.
At press time, the donation total was $150,000 and growing, Sue Renfro, KARM director of marketing and communications, said.
“I’m just excited,” Renfro said.
“I’m absolutely loving it,” Bert Rosen, KARM president and CEO, said. “You couldn’t have asked for more glorious weather. We’ve had a great time. This is a great event for a great cause.”
“Our goal is to raise $215,000. We will continue to raise money from this event through Thursday, June 30. Anyone can donate to karm.org/dragonboats to help reach our goal.”
Renfro said KARM appreciates the sponsors for their support.
“We couldn’t have done this without them.”
“[KARM is] a good partner for public service in the community,” Chris Hoss, team member for Publix at Northshore Drive, said.
• Women’s Division: Girl’s Day Out, followed by Princess Paddlers.
• Open Division: Gerdau-Rol-ling Mill & Shipping, first place; Dayton’s Pest Control, second; US Foods, third; Gerdau-Melt Shop & Scrap Yard, fourth.
• Tiger Division in B Final: Alcoa, first place; Team Clayton, second; ORNL FCU Paddlers, third; NHCyaaYEs, fourth; Hope Floats, fifth.
• Tiger Division Grand Final: Star Oars, first; CNS Y-12 2fit2float, second; Team Clayton 2, third; On the Row’d Again, fourth.
• C Final Lion Division: Glen-nigan’s Island, first; The Knoxi-cans, second; Rodefer Moss, third; Principle USA, fourth.
• B Final Lion Division: Sea Rayders, first; 21st Mortgage Cor-poration, second; FCUMC Feeding Frenzy, third; CNS Y-12 T2 crew, fourth.
• Grand Final Lion Division: J’s Crew, first; Chattanooga Dragon Boat Club, second; TIS WINsurance, third; Dragin’ Tails, fourth.
• B Final Dragon Division: Workout Anytime, first; Tennova-Sun’s Out Guns Out, second; Publix 1, third; Publix 2, fourth.
• Grand Final Dragon Division: Pugh Pirates, first; Strata-G Force, second; Avkem Avengers, third; Tennova Paddles and Scalpels, fourth.
Other awards went to The Knoxicans for Best Team Spirit, Star Oars from Cumulus Broad-cast Group for Best T-shirt, The Serenity Princess Paddlers for Best Tent Design and AvKem team for Best Drummer Costume.