presstalk 671-TALK (8255) or

• I just wanted to say thank you for running the article on the woman whose husband left her paralyzed (page 4B, June 3 issue), before he killed himself, by shooting her; and the local business who decided to help them (including children) out. If she has not been so informed, she needs to check with the (district attorney’s) office about the victim’s compensation program by the state. You have one year from the date of the crime to file a claim — and they do offer help with medical bills and other things. So please tell her to check with them and see if she can get some help from the state that way. She should not ever have had to go through this in the first place, or her children. This is why we need to fight violence in our community at every turn.