Toxic affects for pets eating plants, acorns
Q: The weather has been nice lately, so Bobby (my schnauzer) and I have spent a lot of time outside. I’ve noticed that he likes to lick, and sometimes eat, leaves and plants in the yard. Are there any plants that I should be concerned about? P.W., Farragut.
A: There are multiple fall plants that are of concern if ingested. If eaten, mums, holly berries, autumn crocus, pokeweed and lavender can cause gastrointestinal upset of varying degrees. Begonias can cause moderate to severe oral irritation and inflammation. Wilting apple tree leaves and seeds from fallen apples can be toxic to dogs. Oak tree leaves and acorns can also cause gastrointestinal upset.
Additionally, we have seen smaller pets eating acorns end up with bowel obstruction, so please deter Bobby from eating acorns.
For those traveling with pets to warmer climates, please keep you pets away from oleander and sago palm. Although beautiful, both are highly toxic to pets.
A complete list of poisonous plants can be found at aspca.org. If your pet ingests a plant and appears ill, and you are unsure what type of plant it is, please take the plant with you when seeking medical care for your pet.
If you have any questions about your pet, you may e-mail Dr. Myers at email@example.com